As India celebrated her 73rd Independence Day, Prime Minister Modi’s speech from the Red Fort caught everyone’s attention. He spoke at length touching various issues in an approximate 90-minute speech.
We have enlisted a few key takeaways from PM Modi’s Independence Day speech:
1) PM Modi made headlines by announcing the creation of a Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) as head of all the tri-services.
2) Chief of Defence Staff will serve as the single-point military adviser to the Defence Minister of India.
3) He commended his government's historic step to scrap Article 370 and Article 35A.
4) PM asserted that India is now one nation with one Constitution.
5) He also attacked, though without naming his political rivals, the inability of previous governments in removing Article 370 and Article 35A.
6) "That such a provision existed was a matter of concern and fear for women, who continued living in the shadows of this Islamic law," said the PM while speaking upon the Triple Talaq issue and stressed that criminalising it under Triple Talaq Bill will give Muslim women tremendous security.
7) The PM also urged the citizens to visit at least 15 tourist places in India by 2022, saying there remains a "huge" scope to better India's tourism.
8) The Prime Minister also urged people to put an end on single-use plastic and suggested the shop-owners and entrepreneurs to begin gifting customers with cloth bags having their business' branding as it will ensure advertisement as well as inculcate good habit.
9) He said that his government is eyeing to double the size of the Indian economy to $5 trillion in the next five years; stressing upon the need for boosting the India Inc.
10) The PM made a fresh pitch on the concept of 'one nation, one election'.
11) He also spoke about the ‘population explosion’ in the country and expressed his concern upon the same.